Re: CAT: Accuracy and the like...

From: James Brooks <hirundo@tricon.net>

At 05:20 AM 1/21/99 -0000, you wrote:
>From: skorblizzard@hotmail.com
>... But, then again (you might think I am wrong) I still believe that I do
have the right to voice my opinion and my experiences if I choose to do so.
>(Zone 3, Alberta, Canada, and stepping off my soapbox now.  :-D )

Yes, but I continue to urge caution, particularly of publicizing
second-hand stories. What appears on the Internet constitutes publication,
the same as if it appeared in a newspaper, and as a newspaper reporter I am
aware that when something is published which is untrue and which damages an
individual or a company, that it constitutes libel, and the person
publishing the libelous material, the list provider and just about everyone
involved could be sued for damages. There are no winners when that happens,
other than attorneys.
So my pleas for caution and civility are based on enlightened
self-interest, as much as from old-fashioned Southern courtly manners.

James Brooks
Jonesborough, TN
Persimmon Katz
 { o o }