Iris wattii

From: Bill Shear <BILLS@hsc.edu>

Ditto on I. wattii here in VA.  About 5 bloomstalks showing now.  Also, by
the way, 11 stalks on a first year plant of Neomarica gracilis!

Dennis, why not save the wattii pollen and use it on cristata later?  This
cross is a VERY long shot anyhow.  Your wattii pollen will probably be able
to cover scores of cristata flowers, but not vice-versa.  And you will need
to try this cross a lot of times to get a take.  Even so if you don't take
precautions to prevent selfed pods.....well, you know.

PS--not sure my plants are wattii--they might be a pale japonica.  However,
the foliage has an entirely different look from the japonica I grow
outside: definitely with a waxy bluish haze, while the japonica foliage is
glossy green.

Bill Shear
Department of Biology
Hampden-Sydney College