Re: CAT: Accuracy and the like...

From: John I Jones <jijones@ix.netcom.com>

James Brooks wrote:
> Yes, but I continue to urge caution, particularly of publicizing
> second-hand stories. What appears on the Internet constitutes publication,
> the same as if it appeared in a newspaper, and as a newspaper reporter I am
> aware that when something is published which is untrue and which damages an
> individual or a company, that it constitutes libel, and the person
> publishing the libelous material, the list provider and just about everyone
> involved could be sued for damages. There are no winners when that happens,
> other than attorneys.

A couple of things are relevent here. First, in terms of libel, a key word was
left out. That word is intent. My understanding is that even if something is
untrue there has to be the intent of doing damage. Most importantly, as long
as what you say is true, "no worries" as they say down under.

Secondly, sending an email to a list (like this one) is little different than
sending a private letter (because we all subscribe). Now, if you put something
on your wedsite, perhaps that is publishing publicly, maybe. Posting to a news
group??  I don't know about that one. Newspapers are entirely different creatures.

Thirdly, there is very little "body of law" (meaning testing in an actual
court action) about any of this concerning the internet.

Most importantly, stick to truthful, first hand knowledge.

USDA zone 8/9 (coastal, bay)
Visit my website at:

To reply to me personally click on
Fremont, California, USA