Re: HYB: need advice!

From: dlouis@dynamicro.on.ca

On Thu, 21 Jan 1999, Dennis Kramb wrote:

> I about fell over backwards when I noticed a bloom stalk emerging on a
> piece of my Iris wattii a few moments ago!!!!  Originally I had hoped to
> cross this with some of my Iris cristata alba (white form) but that won't
> bloom for months.
> My options at this point are limited.  I can try to self it, or I can save
> the pollen to use on the cristata later this spring.
Dennis, I'd say this is a good idea. Put your anthurs in a film canister
and dry it in the fridge for a short while and then close the canister
and leave in the fridge. Sharon McA are you there? >
> Or...if some beautiful soul out there has some pollen in storage from Iris
> cristata alba...maybe we can work out an arrangement?  Andy Wheeler???  Are
> you  there?  :)   (I bought my cristatas from you, so maybe you still grow
> it and have some pollen.)
> My wattii has increased so much that I'm encouraged by event and expect
> many more bloom stalks in the months to come.
Sounds like there's a good chance of that too. Best of Luck. Wonder if
wattii would grow in zone 4?
> Dennis Kramb; dkramb@tso.cin.ix.net
> Cincinnati, Ohio USA; USDA Zone 6; AIS Region 6

Diana Louis <dlouis@dynamicro.on.ca> <- private email address
cold edge of Zone 4 Newmarket, Ontario, Canada
AIS, CIS, SIGNA, IRIS-L, Canadian Wildflower Soc.

URL for the North American Native Irises web page