Re: Schreiner's

From: John I Jones <jijones@ix.netcom.com>

RYFigge@aol.com wrote:
> From: RYFigge@aol.com
> Dear Mary - congrats on your logical conclusions.  The cat. people will tell
> you how far apart etc to plant, but I'll add my experiences:  If you have a
> small area and you want instant bloom concentrated, you plant closer together
> -- say 8" apart, but that means you will need to reset them in another year if
> they increase.  If you want to wait 3 years to replant then,  have them about
> `'1 8" apart -- I think the cats. recommend 24"   And it depends on whether
> you are dealing with TBs or SDBs or beardless (and whether SIBS - which can
> stay longer -or JIs which need to be moved in 3 yrs) AND whether you are
> planting 1 or 3 that are alike.  Keep in mind that SDBs are likely to increase
> faster than TBs

Something I am experimenting with this year. I had dug and "rejuvinated" two
of my raised beds with the intent of leaving the irises planted in them in
place for at least two years (if not three) so I spaced them about 17 inches
on center (rows and columns on 12 spacing, planting only on every other spot).
I got to thinking that they really didn't need all that space the first year,
so I filled the interstices with iris I was evaluating, all of which I will
dig this year. If I decide to keep some of them I can transplant them as a
clump and the following year effectively have a 2d year clump.

USDA zone 8/9 (coastal, bay)
Visit my website at:

To reply to me personally click on
Fremont, California, USA