OT-BIO:David G. Holm

From: "David G. Holm" <sherlock@amigo.net>

Greetings!

Let me introduce myself.  I have recently developed an interest in
irises.  I have lived in the San Luis Valley of Colorado about 21 years.  I
am employed by Colorado State University at the San Luis Valley
Research Center.  My professional responsibilities as a Professor in the
Department of Horticulture and Landscape Architecture is to
conduct a potato breeding and selection project.

I was born and raised in Southeast Idaho on a potato farm.  I obtained my
B.S. and M.S. degrees from the Department of Plant Sciences at the
University of Idaho.  From there onto the Department of Horticultural
Sciences at the University of Minnesota for a Ph.D.

Since I am a beginner with irises I have much to learn.  That is the primary
reason that I have subscribed to iris-talk.   Also it is a chance for me to
meet others that share a common interest in irises - even if only by name.

Perhaps I am can lend some insight into the discussions based on my
background and training in potato breeding and horticulture.  Based on
postings I have been reading recently there are a lot of common elements
between strategies employed in potato breeding and iris breeding
(something I would like to get into as time permits).

The San Luis Valley is a high altitude (7800') valley.  We grow about 78,000
acres of the potatoes.  In case you did'd know - Colorado potatoes are
better than Idaho potatoes!  Enough said!

Dave Holm