Re: was Schreiner's now Spacing

From: Glenn Simmons <glsimmon@swbell.net>

John I Jones wrote:

> Something I am experimenting with this year. I had dug and "rejuvinated" two
> of my raised beds with the intent of leaving the irises planted in them in
> place for at least two years (if not three) so I spaced them about 17 inches
> on center (rows and columns on 12 spacing, planting only on every other spot).
> I got to thinking that they really didn't need all that space the first year,
> so I filled the interstices with iris I was evaluating, all of which I will
> dig this year. If I decide to keep some of them I can transplant them as a
> clump and the following year effectively have a 2d year clump.
>
> John

In 1997 we pulled all our irises and re-worked all our beds with the intent of
"experimenting" with spacing.  Our beds are 5 feet wide and after the re-working we
planted 4 rows of iris in each bed and the iris in each row was spaced 12 inches
apart.  We were fully aware that this 12 inches was too close and knew we would be
re-planting shortly.

The fall of 1998 we completely re-worked all our beds again.  We decided that our
spacing was much too close.  We have reduced the number of rows in each bed to 3 and
the spacing in the rows has been increased to 18 inches.  One year's growth, 1997 to
1998 and our beds looked like a solid mass.  What concerned us most was air
circulation.  So hopefully with this new spacing the air circulation will improve
considerably.  We suffered with a lot of rot problems last year.  We know some of
the problem was climate induced but we believe part of the problem was lack of
circulation.

If any one has any questions, I will be happy to answer them.  We didn't really know
how well the iris would manage with the much closer spacing but decided they needed
more than what we allowed.  :)

Glenn

--
Glenn & Linda Simmons