Re: HIST: HYB: CULT: source of freeze resistant evergreen?

  • To: iris-talk@onelist.com
  • Subject: Re: HIST: HYB: CULT: source of freeze resistant evergreen?
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 07:44:30 -0800

From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>

Michael Greenfield in Ohio wrote:
>  most of mine are still showing green and always do every
> year. I have a few  that  completely lose there leaves. I am farther north
> than you. I thought  this was normal for TB"S . The longest and oldest
> leaves show the most damage. Same thing with SDB's only they do better.
> Less damage.

I'm learning more and more that what is 'normal' for TBs varies all over
the place, depending on a mix of genetic background, climate, culture
(soil characteristics as well as what the grower does), age, what's been
happening to the rhizome over the preceeding year...

The reason I've been looking so closely at these guys and taking notes
is because my combination of climate, garden location, soil and
determination only to grow the ones that don't take fussing over to keep
going means that only some TB cultivars do really well here.  So I keep
reading checklists and charting pedigrees to see if I can make any sense
out of how/why different cultivars behave so differently here and from
that, if I can predict which newer ones will be most likely to do well.
I am especially interested in finding cultivars that will bloom normally
and grow well following our nasty late winter/early spring killing
freezes AND finding the few that thrive in well-drained beds with
interplanted ground cover (as Randy in Missouri implied, there are
some).  So part of what I'm doing is trying to figure out which
ancestors are likely to show up in the family tree of ones that do
well.  So far, this has vastly improved the odds of success (e.g., life,
bloom) for the cultivars that I have bought/swapped in the last few
years.

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA