Re: OT-BIO:David G. Holm

  • To: iris-talk@onelist.com
  • Subject: Re: OT-BIO:David G. Holm
  • From: James Brooks <hirundo@tricon.net>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 07:45:02 -0500

From: James Brooks <hirundo@tricon.net>

At 09:03 PM 1/21/99 -0600, you wrote:
  Based on
>> postings I have been reading recently there are a lot of common elements
>> between strategies employed in potato breeding and iris breeding
>> (something I would like to get into as time permits).

Welcome, David -

Hardiness would seem to be one thing potatoes and iris have in common.
About seven years ago, before my interest in iris was born, I was burying
garbage in the field where I now have an iris bed. Once I buried some
potatoes that had sprouted and withered in the remote and forgotten Siberia
of my refrigerator. At the same time I was mowing over an iris in my front
lawn and one on the side, not knowing what they were.

Each year I am rewarded with a fine, but unknown iris and a Siberian, which
Mike Lowe described as a purple Siberian of the 30s. Also each spring, a
potato plant sprouts from the middle of my Louisiana iris bed. Each year I
think I ought to dig it and see what a seven year potato plant tastes like,
but since the only cooking I do is with a wok or a micro-wave, it continues
to go through its cycle unhindered.

Because there are so many ugly and harmful weeds that need to be dug or
pulled, I have a tendency to leave interesting plants alone, and have
several butterfly weeds and clumps of oxeye daisy growing in my iris beds,
along with some tulip poplar seedlings which I need to transplant soon.

James Brooks
Jonesborough, TN
hirundo@tricon.net
Webmaster: