Re: SPEC: I. variegata

From: Mike Lowe <mlowe@worldiris.com>

Linda writes...

>compared to HONORABILE, which I now see from the chromosome counts shared
>by Mike Lowe isn't really all variegata,...

I probably said ...HONORABILE, a diploid...

I also sent the below as an off list comment...

>From a letter from Henry Sass, Jacob's son: He says 'Jake's Blue' is a
>seedling >from Honorabile and it started Dad and Hans off to hybridizing
>irises. In 1904 >Father had only two iris varieties, Honorabile and
>Flavescens. That summer he >found a seed pod on Honorabile containing only
>one seed. He planted it that >fall and it bloomed in 1907. This seedling
>was a blue, the first blue iris Dad >had ever seen. Hans crossed it with
>Mme. Chereau and got his tall blue seedling ># 1"
>There is a photo of H.P. Sass # 1 on the HIPS website...

One of the enduring mysteries of Irisdom is: "Why hasn't SOMEONE done a
count on HONORABILE?!!!" It has thrown many more sports than any other iris
ever recorded. Because of its use by the Sasses it is a vitally important
component of our irises' genetic heritage. Why do I not find Randolph,
Mitra or others having done a count on HONORABILE? Only conjecture,
breeding results, pollen grain size and morphology support its status as a
diploid and give no hint if it is or is not a true 24.

Cheers,

Mike,  mlowe@worldiris.com   --   http://www.worldiris.com
South Central Virginia, USA; USDA Zone 7A