Re: HYB: need advice!

From: Bill Shear <BILLS@hsc.edu>

>Diana, I grow mine in containers so that I can bring them indoors during
>harsh winter weather.  They have done splendid outdoors as cold as 25 deg
>F.  Anything colder than that and I bring them inside.  They do great
>indoors because they do not require direct sunlight.  In fact, it was
>probably the indoor heat that prompted them to bloom now.

According to the BIS species book, wattii is "not hardy."  Most of the UK
is Zone 8 or 9.  Japonica survives outdoors here in Zone 7a, but almost
never blooms.  The foliage is killed by temperatures in the low 20s, and
the plants return from the stolons.  Making me wonder even more about the
identity of Dennis' plants.

Bill Shear
Department of Biology
Hampden-Sydney College