Re: SPEC: I. variegata

  • To: iris-talk@onelist.com
  • Subject: Re: SPEC: I. variegata
  • From: Bill Shear <BILLS@hsc.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 09:09:53 -0400

From: Bill Shear <BILLS@hsc.edu>

My variegatas may well be a named clone or hybrid.  I'm not really an
expert on differentiating historic iris, so maybe when these bloom
(probably in 2000) Mike Lowe can take a look at them.  The rhizomes are
quite small, thumb-size, but I don't know if these are blooming-size or
not.  There are no increases showing and the foliage is in the dormant
phase at about an inch tall in a tight little fan.  There appear to be no
purple bases.  I'm hoping to cross these some time in the future with a
little yellow MTB I grew from Signa seed years ago.  This is a pretty
rugged little fellow that has survived being moved from one bad spot for an
iris to another.  Currently I have it in a real good spot and hope that it
will show what it can do....also rejuvenating my planting of I. subbiflora
with the intention of trying it on variegata and other diploids.

Bill Shear
Department of Biology
Hampden-Sydney College
Hampden-Sydney VA 23943