Re: CULT: ground cover companions for TBs

From: JEM300@aol.com

Like your ground cover ideas.  I too prefer to use annuals and look for some
that don't form real intense root systems.

I've had excellent luck with moss roses.  They don't need to be watered, which
obviously can be a real "plus" interplanted with bearded iris.  They are easy
to pull out at end of season (if you wish) and self seed merrily for the
following year's bloom.

Also,  I have used nasturtium.  Easy to grow, plant seed directly in soil
wherever you want them.  They get nice and full and bushy which can be a nice
foil for the vertical lines of bearded iris.  Easy to rip out and compost too
when they get too scraggly at the end of the season.  Also, they're edible!!

Linda Doffek
West Bend, WI  Zone 5