Re: CULT: ground cover companions for TBs

From: StorYlade@aol.com

In a message dated 1/22/1999 11:21:26 AM Central Standard Time,
hensler@povn.com writes:

<< All of these love the drier conditions of the bearded iris area and since
they reseed themselves, I don't have the work of raising them each year.

Christy,
Thanks for the help.  Since I have landscape fabric over the bed I will have
to start seed indoors ahead of time and plants directly into the bed as
plants.  I just don't want to have to keep up the mulch that is over the
landscape fabric.  I prefer a softer look.

I intend to add some Dahlias and other things to the bed in a couple or three
months.  I'm fond of yellow/red color combinations and thought I would ring
the bed (outside layer) with red double petunias, if I can find seed in time.
(WalMart only has mixed colors this year, and although I love the surprises
with iris seedlings I don't like surprises in my color coordination of other
plants.)

Someone had suggested ground covers persay, but I prefer the annual idea also.
In time, the perinnials I plant will creat their own ground cover with fewer
annuals needed and I wont have to dig out something I didn't want anyway.

Thanks again,
Betty