Re: CULT: Companions

From: "Jeff and Carolyn Walters" <jcwalters@bridgernet.com>

Anner writes:

> Ajuga is a wonderful ground cover for many applications, but in some
parts of
> the country it may not be suitable for use near irises since it is
> susceptible to southern blight, the fungal disease that can affect bases
> both bearded and beardless irises.

I grow both Ajuga and Lysimachia nummularia (Creeping Jenny) that were
mentioned by Christopher M., and while Southern blight is not a problem in
this area, I would not recommend either of these plants as companions for
bearded irises as they make too dense and close a cover that would shade
the rhizomes and promote rot in general by holding moisture close to them.
Also, both these plants are quite aggressive spreaders and difficult to
keep within bounds.