Re: CULT: Display bed spacing

From: John I Jones <jijones@ix.netcom.com>

celia storey wrote:

> From: celia storey <storey@aristotle.net>
>
> Martha, for several years clumps in the CAIS State Capitol beds were
> planted 1.5 feet apart, and there were four rows to a bed that was 7 feet
> wide. That was much, much too close together, even for plants destined to
> be dug and thinned annually.
>
> Leaf spot would get out of hand too easily, and we had a problem with TB
> clumps running into one another -- in one year.

Celia,

Your are absolutely right about providing the right amount of circulation. I
always have to be careful in talking about how I grow iris here in the bay
area of California. I am in an area that gets a reasonable breeze most of the
time and once the rainy season comes to an end there is little or no dew in
the morning and low humidity. I get some leaf spot but not a lot. In the last
three years out of roughly 1500 "iris Years" (one plant grown for one year) I
have had somewhere around 6-7 cases of rot, none of which grew well enough to
destroy the plant and all were taken care of with a little clorox solution and
gypsum (16% sulphur) powder.

But this is California not somewhere muggy or rainy. I can easily plant on 10"
centers for one year plants, and 18-24 inch centers for two year clumps
depending on how well they increase.

On the other hand I can't grow some irises because it doesn't get cold enough
here in the winter to set flowers.

And it really irritates me that I can't grow any of the great fragrant lilacs
from my childhood on the east coast (PA). So instead I just flaunt the fact
that I can get 25 increases on a 2d year clump.  <grin>

This all just emphasises that when reading of someone's experiences, you have
to be cognizant of the writers environment and how it differs from yours.

USDA zone 8/9 (coastal, bay)
Visit my website at:
http://members.home.net/jijones

To reply to me personally click on