Re: HYB: CULT: source of freeze resistant evergreen?

From: vince lewonski <vincelewonski@yahoo.com>

   For what it's worth, here are the varieties that currently have the
best foliage (green, little/no freeze damage, and good sized leaves
instead of little nubs)

WITCHING
MICHIGAN PRIDE
ELECTRIC SURGE
TEMPTING
PERSIAN BERRY
PORTA VILLA
VIBRATIONS
STELLAR LIGHTS
SPLASH OF RASPBERRY
MAGIC SHOW

   Ones with some slight damage:
CARNIVAL SONG
HALLOWEEN HALO
CAPRICIOUS
SCANDIA DELIGHT

   All of these have been in the ground for several years. There were
a bunch of 1st year plants that look good also, but I did not list
these as it may be that they look good because of new growth. Best
looking 1st year was PEACH JAM.
   I don't see any obvious pattern here for what looks good. These
aren't all the strongest growers I have, either - you would think that
going into spring with healthy green foliage would give them a head
start, but the others catch up.
   Having poor foliage in winter may actually be an advantage here -
we get a lot of rain in February/March, with frequent freeze/thaw
cycles. I lost a lot of large rhizomes last spring when rain got
between the leaves, then froze when it got cold at night. Base of the
fan turned white, just like it was freezer burn.

==
Vince Lewonski
Secane, PA  Zone 6
In some cultures, what I do would be considered normal!