CULT: converting to greenhouse

From: James Brooks <hirundo@tricon.net>

Set a record for Home Depot impulse shopping yesterday. Went down to buy a
rake and also bought two 10x25 galvinized steel frameworks that come with a
vinyl top big enough to cover a two family funeral, which I intent to
convert to greenhouses.
Now my question in this: These are made of 1.5 inch pipe with a standard
pitched roof (not quonset/hoop style), which gives nice straight 6' sides,
and plenty of room over that from which one could hang a watering system,
fans, or even hanging baskets ;-) to make all the Carolina Wrens in
Tennessee happy. (For those of you not privileged to have this bird, the CW
makes its nest of moss and we have had a population explosion and range
expansion of them northward as far as Chicago and New York ever since
hanging baskets of spaghnum moss became the rage for old houses and mobile
homes with porches).
The side poles, and their resulting roof rafter pipes are 5-6 feet apart,
meaning there is an area on each side of the ridge pole that will involve
30-45 sq. feet of unsupported plastic, which I am reasonably sure will sag,
stretch and fill with water in a good rain.
Those of you who have had greenhouses, what do you feel is the minimum
support spacing to prevent this from happening? Should it run bottom to top
or parallel to the eave line? Any ideas for fastening this flush to the
pole framework to prevent yet another pond from forming?

I intend to put the roll plastic over the top and roll each end in a 2x4,
stapling it in place, so the sides can be rolled up for ventilation, and so
its weight will keep tension on the plastic.

James Brooks
Jonesborough, TN
hirundo@tricon.net
Webmaster: