Re: CULT:SPEC:HIST: foliage in winter

From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>

Thanks, Anner, for those helpful(?) clues on iris foliage in Idaho in
1926 after temps. to 7oF and no snow.

Here's another version with some added, some condensed, & some omitted

"species"	#cvs	#uninjured	"destroyed"	2n
germanica	5	4		0		44
florentina	1	0		0		44
trojana		1	1		0		48
pallida		34	0		28		24
variegata	20	0		20		24
pallida, variegata derivatives (plicata, neglecta, squalens, amoena)
		60	0		51		24
DBs		7	6		0	???16, 24, 40, 48??

As Anner says, we don't know what 'destroyed' means, but based on what
I'm seeing with pallida etc, I assume it means what I've been calling
winter deciduous.  So, to sum up, the "DBs" (anybody have a clue as to
what these probably were back in those days at that location?), one
sample of trojana (which sure isn't enough to tell much of anything) and
germanica all have evergreen foliage that aren't much damaged by really
hard freezes.

So I guess this is a clue that trojana could be a source of freeze
tolerant evergreenness.  What about the common wisdom that it's
'tender'?  Is germanica thought to be from mixtures of 2n=40 dwarfs and
'tender' tetraploids?  This chart would make me suspect it's (they're)
from trojana and the 40 chromosome dwarfs.

Anner, does the report say which germanicas, trojana, and DBs the author
was growing?

Now I wish I had bought, begged, swapped for a few clones of trojana
last planting season.  Something for next year.

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA