Re: genetics still learning

From: StorYlade@aol.com

In a message dated 1/24/1999 12:38:40 AM Central Standard Time, Maslon@aol.com

<< are iris colors like genes in humans recesive and nonresesive (E/I/: blue
 vs brown eyes) brown wins, the colors are there  recesive colors like pink is
 it quick to vanish unless both parents have the genemakeup. >>

If I understood my pink lesson from Ben Hager (he was among the hybridizers I
wrote when I was doing the articles for Region 7), several years ago, when you
out cross to an iris with no pink, for whatever reason, you expect no pinks in
that generation.  You have to cross back to another pink to get pink.  Of
course, now both have pink in the background.  I crossed out to Immortality
for rebloom.  This held true with the crosses I made to pinks.  Got all whites
and yellows.  Yellows are very common to a pink x white cross, at least in my
garden.  Light yellows leaning toward cream.

You probably can confirm this in some literature if you like.  Ben was the
breeder of two pink Dykes so I took his word for it.

Betty . . .  Not a genetics student.