Cult: Companion Planting

From: RYFigge@aol.com

No onr has mentioned my favorite "edging" for iris beds:  Coral Bells
(Heuchera)  The foliage is low to the ground, therefore not shading -- can
stay for years with little problems - can be divided and spread around - I
plant it  10 or so inches in front.  I alternate  it with pansies, and since I
pull those up when they get scraggy-looking, I don't get many seedlings.
Coralbells are easy to find in the 20" to 24" pink flower-stems but these waft
in the breeze and lean toward the sun, so if they lean over the grass  you
have to mow, it can be a nuisance.  I  prefer the 12" dark red oness  -- but
they are impossible to find.  No garden center seems to have them and I don'tt
know where I  got the few I have, and they are not as generous in growth for
dividing (probably why no one carries them).    But they don't flop and bother
the lawnmower.   Rosalie nr Baltimore  zone 7  ryf@aol.com

0

'