Re: Digest Number 284

  • To: iris-talk@onelist.com
  • Subject: Re: Digest Number 284
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 11:19:21 -0800

From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>

Vince Lewonski in Pennsylvania wrote;
>    For what it's worth, here are the varieties that currently have the
> best foliage (green, little/no freeze damage, and good sized leaves
> instead of little nubs)
>
> WITCHING
> MICHIGAN PRIDE
> ELECTRIC SURGE
> TEMPTING
> PERSIAN BERRY
> PORTA VILLA
> VIBRATIONS
> STELLAR LIGHTS
> SPLASH OF RASPBERRY
> MAGIC SHOW

Hi Vince, I've grown some of those and find that their foliage is
damaged here by abrupt cold spells down to 10 or single digits.

Have you had any nights that cold WITHOUT snow cover?

Also, if the temperature changes aren't quite as abrupt (several warm
days with nights staying above the mid 30s followed suddenly by several
nights down to 10, followed by another batch of warmth and rain) the
irises seem to acclimate and are not as likely to be injured. As much.

I agree, losing leaves for the winter and not getting started growing
them again too early in the spring seems to be a good strategy for
survival!  But seeing how some of my 'new' historics have been reacting
so well to the wretched weather while keeping their leavesgot me curious
as to where that comes from.

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA