Re: genetics still learning

From: "Jeff and Carolyn Walters" <jcwalters@bridgernet.com>

Chris Maslon writes:

> I was reading the IMMORTALITY yellow and pink and white cross
conversation,
> I was wondering ..
> are iris colors like genes in humans recesive and nonresesive (E/I/: blue
eyes
> vs brown eyes) brown wins, the colors are there  recesive colors like
pink is
> it quick to vanish unless both parents have the genemakeup.

Chris,

The basic principles of genetics are applicable to plants, animals, and
humans alike. There are recessive and dominant traits in irises just as
there are in people. Pink color in the flowers, like blue eye color is a
recessive trait. Both parents must carry the genes for these traits in
order for the offspring to have a chance of expressing them. IMMORTALITY
has no recent ancestors that are pink, and probably does not carry the pink
genes at all. Therefore, even if it is crossed with a pink iris it is
unlikely that any of the offspring (seedlings) will be pink. However, if
you take these IMMORTALITY X pink seedlings and cross them with each other
or with another pink iris, it should result in the production of some pink
seedlings in the second generation.

jcwalters@bridgernet.com