Re: CULT:SPEC:HIST: foliage in winter

From: HIPSource@aol.com

In a message dated 1/24/99 7:46:48 AM Eastern Standard Time, lmann@icx.net
writes:

<<  Anner, does the report say which germanicas, trojana, and DBs the author
 was growing?  >>

No, and that is the crux of the matter in my opinion, since AIS went through a
period when these terms were used as descriptive umbrella categories for
groups of different cultivars. Some still are. Since Kochii is  distinguished
from the other "germanicas", I'm inclined to think that a collection of
cultivars--some hybrid-- was being reported under each category. Rather odd to
see the terms in use otherwise after Dykes' work.

I'm not a numerico-scientific type but all that I can see one could reasonably
take from the notice as published--and I gave you all of it--was that at seven
degrees F with no snow cover in Idaho----which I take to be dry air and high
elevation--you can expect perceptible "damage" to the foliage of most bearded
irises. What the "damage" and its ultimate effect was, or whether the plant
was taking it in stride and simply hunkering down in the inclemancy, is
anyone's guess. Sort of hard to think of "trojana" being hardier than
"pallida" by any definition, though.

In the early days of AIS , as now, there was a lot if interest in the
performance of different irises in different parts of the country. People were
feeling their way on hardiness and so forth. The Bulletins and articles in the
popular press reflect this. Many of the concerns are instantly recognizable

Anner Whitehead
HIPSource@aol.com