Re: SIB: borer bait?

From: JEM300@aol.com

In a message dated 1/24/99 11:58:50 AM Central Standard Time,
hirundo@tricon.net writes:

<< My question is, does Siberian dead foliage harbor iris borer, so that it
 needs to be dried out enough to be burned, or can I just put these in the
 compost? Those of you from more Northern climes, can probably tell me more,
 but I've never had a borer problem with any beardless iris. >>

Yes, unfortunately, the dead foliage from Siberians can harbor iris borer
eggs.  I personally never compost them.  I burn them.

If you HAVE had a borer problem with bearded, it is my opinion that you DO
have a borer problem with beardless.  I find it harder to recognize in big
vigorous beardless clumps.  Borer damage is much, much more difficult to find
than in bearded.  I spray the "living dickens" out of my beardless in the
spring with Cygon now and have noticed much less overall borer throughout the

Linda Doffek
West Bend, WI  Zone 5
Member AIS, SSI, and WIS