Re: SPEC: Iris longipetala

From: DWiris@aol.com

In a message dated 1/23/99 12:02:20 AM Eastern Standard Time,
dkramb@tso.cin.ix.net writes:

<< Now, I'm not trying to cause any trouble here...I just want to know some
 basics about how to grow this plant.  Anyone out there have a clue what the
 deal is?  My humble guess is that Rodney's page lumps I. longipetala under
 I. missouriensis?  Maybe?  I dunno.
 My biggest conern at the moment is, if I put these seeds outside can they
 take freezing temps?  I doubt it ever freezes along the California coast,
 but I bet it does in the high Rockies.  ;) >>

Dear Dennis,

As others have already written I. longipetala is considered to be the same as
I. missouriensis.  We have seen I. missouriensis growing in cow pastures near
Boulder, Colorado, as well as south of Reno, Nevada.  It also grows on the
east side of the Sierra Nevadas near the ski resort of Mammoth Lakes,
California, at elevations of nearly 8000 feet.  It usually is found along the
banks of streams which overflow in the spring spreading the seeds and the cow
manure.  When we drove south from Reno by a back road on our way to Mammoth
Lakes, we passed miles and miles of fields full of I. missouriensis clumps in
bloom.  The cattle were eating grass all around them, but did not eat the
irises.  Cattle growers do not like the irises growing there, because it takes
over the grass that the cattle need.

Many years ago, we brought back some plants from the Boulder area and the
lived here in northern Ohio, for a long time.  Unfortunately, we neglected
them and they succumbed to vigorous weeds.  They should do well for you.

Dorothy Willott