Re: SIB: borer bait?

From: James Brooks
At 10:55 PM 1/24/99 -0800, you wrote:

James: We, here in the Pacific Northwest, are fortunate to not have the borer menace. My best advice to you is to NEVER as a general practice put dead iris foliage of any kind into your compost heap. The best thing to do is to bag it up and put it out for trash collection. There is no sense in adding possibly diseased material to your compost pile which will then be used later to re-infect other plant material.

Thank you, good advice, and in the nick of time. I should stress that I do not have a borer problem as such, but am following the recommended sanitation procedures of removing dead foliage before spring. The borer supposedly doesn't live south of Nashville, but here in the mountains of Northeast Tennessee, we have a number of problems that come from up north. Probably some people would say I am one of them.

My next project after the sanitation procedure is to turn the compost, and since all my leaf trimmings and old rhizomes are in only one of my four 8'x8'bins, I'll just leave that one sit there, or at least keep it from being mixed with the others.

My biggest problem is leaf spot, which I have not yet begun spraying for, partly because I can't get a sprayer to consistenly work good enough to get much past the necessary grass and pre-emergence spray schedules. I'm either going to buy a new one this year, or replace the "guts" of the old one.

One thing I love about this forum, is that if you have a question of how to procede, run in and post a question, go ahead and do something else for 4-8 hours and back comes a spectrum of answers. That's especially important, because I believe there are no right and wrong answers good for all people in all locations, so by viewing a spectrum of opinion, one can test what appears to be the best option for his given situation.

James Brooks
Jonesborough, TN
hirundo@tricon.net
Webmaster: