Re: SPEC: SIGNA: saving seeds

From: celia storey <storey@aristotle.net>

>	Those receiving Signa seeds...have you planted them yet?  Indoors or
>outdoors??  Just specific crosses or all?
Walta, I'm doing exactly what I did last year: stratifying everything, no
matter where it came from.

The other night for an hour or two I soaked each set of seeds in labeled
custard cups full of distilled water, then packed the seeds into wet sad in
sandwich baggies and tossed them into the refrigerator crisper. I'll pull
them out in late March or April, dump the sand into gallon pots full of
some sterile medium or another and then kick them all out of doors to fend
for themselves.

Most of the stuff I acquired last year would not have tolerated our
rollercoaster winters, so it was nice to have someplace to send the seeds
for winter. To the refrigerator! <g>

Following this treatment last year, I had lovely germination in every one
of the 10 pots I set out -- except in the cristata which produced nada. But
folks tell me cristata is like that, and I can expect germination in a year
or two.

Kind of an ignorant approach, but hey, it worked once. :-)

Little Rock, Arkansas, USDA Zone 7b
257 feet above sea level, Little Rock soils are often acid, sandy loam, rocky
average rainfall about 49 inches (more than 60" in '97, but less than 42"
in '98)
High humidity, moderate winters, hot summers; but conditions seesaw
Extreme recorded temps: HI 110 F, LO -13 F