Re: Iris Year

From: "Chris Hollinshead" <cris@netcom.ca>

>Sandra Archibald wrote:
> When a iris is listed in a catalog with a year.  Is that year the date of
> registration or the date of introduction?
> Reading some borrowed Iris Checklists and feeling confused.

Chris replies:
This is good that you have the iris checklists. You are part way to
understanding this as you already know that Registration is different than
Introduction. Feel not confused any longer!

Registration is the year that the plant was registered with the AIS. This
can sometimes be the same year as year of Introduction but for the most part
precedes the year of introduction by one or more years.
And YES there are exceptions where the year of Registration follows the year
of Introduction but I won't go there just now! Check the Iris-List archives
about a year or so for some good examples of this and a further explanation.

To answer your question more directly now, the catalogs (that's spelled
"catalogues" for us Canucks and Aussies) use the year of Introduction when
they include this type of information in their listings. This convention is
pretty much universal. I have not come across any exceptions.

Christopher Hollinshead
Mississauga, Ontario  Canada  zone6b
AIS(Region 16), CIS, SSI
Director-Canadian Iris Society