Re: CAT: Favorite Sources

From: Glenn Simmons <glsimmon@swbell.net>

John I Jones wrote:

> Well, OK, Kathy started this so I'll step up too...
> Superstition Iris Gardens - TBs, Medians, ABs and lots more. Incredible value
> and great rzs. Rick and Roger are always willing to go the extra effort to
> help you.
> Maryott's Iris Garden - Their catalog this year was OUTSTANDING. pictures
> right next to the descriptions so you don't have to go hunting all over the
> catalog. Or wonder what a flower looks like and not know whether it is
> pictured in the catalog. The quality of their rzs is unbeatable.
> Pleasure Iris Gardens - Arils, Arilbreds, Oncos etc. Luella is excellent with
> her recommendations and help.
> Bay View Gardens - Joe Ghio is one of the premier hybridizers for PCNs.
> McAlister Iris Gardens - Who can resist the creations of our erstwhile
> professor of genetics. Just to bring some of that gene pool into my own garden
> is incredible. Value, generosity, patience with my naive questions.
> And so many others
> John

1997 was our first year buying iris from west coast growers so we spread our
purchases out a little.  We have always bought iris in the past from regional
growers mainly because we were concerned about climatic changes.  In 97 we bought
over 300 irises and as of to date we have only lost 3 and one of those was my own
fault.  Linda and I are very pleased with the rhizomes that arrived from the west
coast and we are already making up lists of what we want this year which we plan on
purchasing from the west coast growers.

The west coast growers we purchased iris (TB's) from in 1997 are:

Superstition, our own Rick Tasco & Roger Duncan
Maryott's, Bill Maryott
Bay View, Joe Ghio
Sutton's, our own Mike Sutton & family
Keppel's, Keith Keppel

My best description of the rhizomes received from the above growers is very high
quality and healthy.  Three of the orders were amended after they were placed and
no problem was encountered.  All of the growers went out of their way to satisfy
our requests.  We are going to order from them again and we will recommend any of
them.  We still buy iris locally and regionally which we do not intend on changing
because we want to support our local growers also.

I will be happy to answer any questions on any of the above listed growers if any
one wants to ask off list.

Glenn & Linda Simmons