Re: OT - weather

From: James Brooks
At 02:24 PM 1/25/99 -0500, you wrote:
>From: "Mark, Maureen" <MARKM@tc.gc.ca>
>
>How many of you are out with your garden tools trying to shovel the white
>stuff? Never mind snow plows, I can't imagine that anyone has a snow
>shovel.

When I first moved to Tennessee 20 years ago I learned that there are some things I had always taken for granted that you just can't find here: snow shovels, snow blowers, snow fencing, snowmobiles and taverns.

However, we do occasionally get 1-2 feet of wet snow, but it usually melts so quickly that in all that time I've never gotten my cross-country skis out of the the porch rafters - another Carolina Wren nesting site.

I found that a scoop shovel - the kind they use with grain - is far superior to moving lots of snow than those stupid flat things that wet snow slides off of when you pick it up. One year we were all snowed in here at Malone Hollow and got to meet the neighbors as we pooled resources to shovel out driveways. On one 50 yard driveway I had cleared a wider swath through the deeper end of the drift, clear to the end before my two companions had gone 1/3 of the way - although a winter of televised football and lack of physical activity at work did kinda cause their bellies to get in the way.;-)

James Brooks
Jonesborough, TN
hirundo@tricon.net
Webmaster: