HYB: Hardiness

From: StorYlade@aol.com

In a message dated 1/26/1999 1:58:16 PM Central Standard Time,
hensler@povn.com writes:

  >>I read a comment somewhere that indicated rot and other disease problems
could not be bred out of TBs. <<
 I'm delighted to hear that there is one more hybridizer to add to those
already working on indestructable TBs!
 I believe you're on the right track in letting Mom Nature cull the weakest
ones. The best path is to listen to all of the information but to follow your
own instincts.

Oh, what a Pandora's box we've opened here.  The former subject was survival.
Would you rather have a plant that survives or one that is hardy and thrives?

This subject has been kicked around the AIS for several years.  The subject
often comes up again when a hybridizer moves--maybe across country--and finds
his/her own babies won't grow well in the new garden.  There was even a
discussion a few years ago as to (cover your eyes if you've a delicate
constitution)--'fault'.  One side insisted it was the (ugh!) fault of the
hybridizer if his iris didn't grow well everywhere.  Another opinion was that
the grower was (here's that word again!) at fault because he/she didn't
provide what the cultivar needed.

Some have said that a return to older, more hardy plants in the breeding room
would produce stronger babies in the nursery.  It was hypothesized that this
step backwards would in turn produce plants more tolerant to all conditions.
Blue Luster is one of the hardy ones I heard mentioned.

How many people are using this technique, or any filter system, to weed out
weak plants?  I only know of one, but I haven't read the last three years of R
& I's.  And if hybridizers produce them, will buyers buy them?  I often hear,
"Don't reinvent the wheel!"

I definitely agree with letting Mother Nature weed out the weakest, but I've
had people insist that I was probably losing the prettiest from any given
cross when I do this.  (Is it just my imagination that the really pretty ones
are almost always weak?)

Who is doing what?  And do you help Mother Nature any?  Do you ever pitch weak
growers before they bloom?  Why or Why not?  What would be the advantage of
keeping a pretty seedling that won't grow?

Betty from B. G. in KY.