Re: TB: red-bearded blacks

From: IRISROT@aol.com

In a message dated 1/26/99 5:00:42 PM Pacific Standard Time, StorYlade@aol.com
writes:

>  If NG or LC are stronger, it comes from Maryott's Witch's Sabbath, a yellow
>  bearded black.  Monty sent this to me by mistake one year--one of those
>  mistakes that turned out to be a blessing.  He identified it by my
> description
>  which was as follows: It looks like a dark damson plumb with a big woolly
>  bumble bee sitting in the middle of it.  It grew like a weed for me (and
>  Monty).
>
>  Betty from B. G. KY.  Where it was very nice today.

Betty,
Local Color out performs all of the ones you mentioned in your post for me.
Every garden I saw it in this past season it was doing well which says a lot.
I visited gardens here in Missouri, Illinois & Oklahoma.

I know we're not talking about this iris but want others to look at it closely
this coming year if you haven't paid that much attention to it ...."Wishful
Thinking" by K. Keppel. It also stood out in all the gardens I visited.

I would love to hear about iris others have seen in their area that stood out.
Sometimes iris are in a color class that we may personally be fond of and can
take notice this coming season.

Color wise I loved "Let's Boogie" by Schreiners. Was in a hurry and wasn't
able to count the buds on this iris but their catalog if my memory serves me
well says 5-7. Another iris I loved colorwise was "Fatal Attraction" by Kerr
but on the clumps I saw in Oklahoma it had only 5 buds. But we need to see
iris for at least 2 years so therefore it could have been due to the weather
they had last spring. I do know lots were growing low in the foliage so this
led me to believe they had a late frost.

						Jinm Loveland, Fenton, MO