Re: HYB: Hardiness

From: IRISROT@aol.com

In a message dated 1/26/99 5:36:54 PM Pacific Standard Time, StorYlade@aol.com

>   I'm delighted to hear that there is one more hybridizer to add to those
>  already working on indestructable TBs!
>   I believe you're on the right track in letting Mom Nature cull the weakest
>  ones. The best path is to listen to all of the information but to follow
> your
>  own instincts.
>    >>
Hi Betty,

I know Randy personally and we both feel the same way about seedlings. We have
talked many hours about not babying seedlings also not spraying for leafspot
nor for borers. So far the percentage of loss really isn't all that great. But
if we baby them as seedlings how do we know if they are really hardy? I feel
the strong ones will survive and these are the ones we should be working with
for growing here in the midwest. I'm going to shift gears a little this year
in my hybridizing by using a few species. I have some ideas as to what  I want
to use but could be a complete flop. But we need more species brought into the
mix and I don't believe your established hybridizer's that already have lines
established are going to bring them into the mix. So it's up to us that are
just now beginning to use new species.
					Jim Loveland , Fenton, MO