Re: CULT: Insects

From:   Leslie Liddiard <liddiard@esn.net>

Hi All,

I really, really hope that someone can help with this question before I go and do possible damage to my TB's.

A few days ago I was out in the iris beds and discovered some kind of insect infestation on nearly all of my iris fans.  I've never actually seen this before.  I phoned our County CES Master Gardener and he hasn't returned my call as yet.

The fans are covered with small white dots that are attached to the fans.  It looks almost like scale, except larger (bigger than the head of a pin).  You can brush them off, but they come right back.  I had some aphids in the bed in late November and early December, but knew the cold weather was approaching and would kill them.  It did.  This has also caused some of the fans to turn a streaked looking brown color (something I've never seen before).

Does this have something to do with the aphids or could it be something else.  Any information on what this is and how it can be treated (or not) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance,

Leslie Liddiard
Goldsboro, NC
AIS Zone 8