Re: CULT:TB: California irises in Region 7

From: StorYlade@aol.com

In a message dated 1/27/1999 7:20:12 AM Central Standard Time, RYFigge@aol.com

<<  maybe they are mother and
 daughter!) and VANITY is a much better grower and survivor and pinker and my
 very favorite >>

Beverly Sills is the product of Pink Pirouette X Vanity.  I've never grown
Pink Pirouette.  It always seems a little odd to me when an iris with such a
feminine look and name as Vanity is the father . . . oh, well, I digress.

Vanity, like Victoria Falls, is one of those irises that are known for
gardenability world wide.  Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.
Hybridizers need a list of these irises to use in their breeding if we are to
achieve the hardiness we speak of.

Monty extolled the virtues of Vanity which persuaded me to buy it.  The first
year I had it it almost died.  I wrote back to Monty telling him it didn't do
well here.  It must have heard me bad mouthing it because I'd no more than got
those words out of my mouth when Vanity took off like a house afire.  No
problems since.  A half sib to Vanity is Cherub's Smile.  It may be even more
hardy in my garden than Vanity.

On the other hand Beverly is one of those gals, along with Edith W., that I
rebuy ever so often in hopes that the new spot I've selected will bring me
better luck.

Rosilee, the Recorder came in the mail yesterday and your name sake is on the

Betty W. in B.G. KY