Re: HYB: Hardiness

From: "Jan Clark" <janclarx@hotmail.com>

>Do you ever pitch weak growers before they bloom?  Why or Why not?
What would be the advantage of keeping a pretty seedling that won't
grow?  Betty from B. G. in KY.

I weeded out the weaklings when I realised they were a bit crowded. I
figure that if these aren't going to bloom for several years, or are
going to bloomout in their first season, I don't want to see them. They
were only my first crosses, and some of them not very well thought out,
so they are dispensible.
Having had my say at an earlier date, about Lady Friend, I finally gave
in and planted the seeds from
Lady Friend X Silkirim and Lady Friend X Court Martial. They were
planted about 3 months after the others (around August last year) and
are way bigger than the other seedlings. None have increase yet, but a
couple of the LF seedlings look as if they will bloom this Spring. I
won't be suprised if they really take off in Autumn. I'd be happier with
a prettier flower, than MUM, it doesn't have to be a show winner, and if
they grow as well as LF so much the better.
Cheers, Jan clark, in Australia.