HYB: Ahnentafel Charts

From: Sharon McAllister <73372.1745@compuserve.com>

Annette in Kentucky wrote:

>  Excuse my ignorance, but what is "ahnentafel"?
This is a numbering system that precisely describes a complex pedigree,
without resorting to a lot of nested parentheses.   I can read ahnentafel
numbers directly from a standard chart, and you can use them to place the
names in their proper places on your own chart.  In the case of
IMMORTATLITY, I sent the equivalent of a seven-column chart:  1 individual,
2 parents, 4 grandparents, 8 greatgrandparents, 16 GGgrandparents, 32
GGGgrandparents, and 64 GGGGgrandparents..

Each ahnentafel # corresponds to a specific position on that chart.   The
number of an individual's father [pollen parent] is defined as twice that
of the individual and the number of an individual's mother [pod parent] is
defined as twice that of the individual, plus one.  So if the individual is
#1, father is #2, mother is #3, paternal grandfather is #4, paternal
grandmother is #5, maternal grandfather is #6, and maternal grandmother is

WIth that, I think you can readily extend the pattern back as many
generations as you need.  It's not nearly as complicated as it sounds,
because the numbering pattern on the corresponding chart is simply
bottom-to-top, left-to-right.

Sharon McAllister