Re: CULT: Insects

From: Gerry Snyder <gcsnyd@loop.com>

> A few days ago I was out in the iris beds and discovered some kind of insect
> infestation on nearly all of my iris fans....
> The fans are covered with small white dots that are attached to the fans.  It
> looks almost like scale, except larger (bigger than the head of a pin).  You
> can brush them off, but they come right back.

Sounds a lot like the white flies that seemed to be taking over southern
California a few years ago. They mostly stayed on the undersides of leaves.
Brushing against a citrus tree would set a humongous cloud flying around

Few chemicals did much of anything against them. Within a couple of years some
natural preditors of theirs were introduced (one was a teeny wasp, as I
remember), and they soon were under control (but not eradicated).

The particular kind of whitefly we had did not show much interest in iris, but
the MO sounds about the same.

I hope my guess is wrong. These beasties were bad news.

-Gerry, Mesmerizer lover
mailto:gcsnyd@loop.com    AIS Region 15
Warm, winterless Los Angeles
President of San Fernando Valley Iris Society