Re: HYB: Pollination vectors

From: StorYlade@aol.com

In a message dated 1/28/1999 8:18:52 AM Central Standard Time,
hirundo@tricon.net writes:

 3. Whether or not you have a sugar-water hummingbird feeder hanging in
 your garden.  >>

James, the only time I've seen hummingbirds is around a feeder.  Never in my
irises.  That doesn't mean they weren't there.  Will they come to my feeder
now that I am in a heavily populated area?  Anyone know when I should put the
feeders up?

I was looking for an excuse to bring in one or two LA's.  I'd love another
true blue (cornflower) and a red.  Both should grow well.  Suggestions?

The observations I made, mainly in seedling beds, was that most of the "bee
pods" came from bumble bees and small crawling insects.  In the early 90's I
was seeing a lot of bee pods.  (remember, I had about an acre filled with
seedlings), but in the last three or four years I only saw three or four pods
per year.  Beds were the same, so something has changed in the environment out
there.  Bloom was down some (due to my neglect) but not enough to explain the
difference in pods.