Re: HYB: Hardiness

From: IRISROT@aol.com

In a message dated 1/27/99 9:23:01 PM Pacific Standard Time, Tmilchh@aol.com
writes:

>  Dear Jim,
>       Nice idea about using Species in your hybridizing. Let us know
>  periodically how it is going. We understand this takes time. So tell us
your
>  thoughts as you go.
>       Annette in KY

Hi Annette,

I sure will but must warm you in advance I am no intellectual such as Lloyd,
Clarence or Walter. I just use the knowledge I have accumulated over the
years. I continue to read everything I can on genetics but feel sometimes
maybe we don't make a certain cross because science says it's not likely that
anything will come of it so therefore we have lost valuable time. I personally
feel there are lots of we think are sterile when in fact it's not. I can use
an example of this....Was talking to Al Roderick about his "Little Mary
Sunshine" one day while visiting. He mentioned that the pollen was sterile...I
laughed because I had just made 8 crosses and all but one took. He was amazed
because since it was a first year bloomer he had tried using the pollen many
times and never had gotten a take. So I believe that due to weather conditions
and also maybe the location we are in such as a valley or etc. has a lot to do
with whether the pollen will be any good. We are beginning to find out that
many of the IB's aren't sterile as once thought. But back to species...I am
going to use aphylla quiet a bit with TB's but also experiment with others at
the same time.

I would like others opinion on TET MTB's. Do you personally like them? I feel
most aren't as delicate as they should be such as the DIPS. I like the idea of
TET MTB''s but if we can get them down in size compariable to the DIPS. I
believe the blooms are a little large myself but this is my opinion.

Oh I mentioned a couple of iris for all of you to take notice of...I have one
more I wish to add to that list. I didn't notice this TB until there were
three blooms open then I started being drawn back to it and must say it ranks
right at the top now of being my favorite iris. Now if you know me you know I
love pinks and darks but this one is a pastel yellow and white called "Violet
Dawson" by Dave Niswonger. Check this iris out this coming year and really
give it a good look it grows on you. We as judges should let others know if
you see an iris that meets all the criteria of a good iris. Also lets not just
be good TB judges lets look at the iris of all classes. Also let's be fair and
not vote on an iris just because of it's drawing power. I know this takes a
lot of effort on our part to not do this but think of it this way. Are we
being fair to the hybridizers if we do this? If your a hybridizer would you
like for the judges to vote in this manner? So lets try and be as fair and
impartial as possible.

						Jim LOveland, Fenton , MO