Re: Squirrels

From: James Brooks <hirundo@tricon.net>

At 01:47 PM 1/28/99 -0500, you wrote:
>From: "Betty Schnellinger" <bejim@buffnet.net>
>
>Yikes!! I just saw two squirrels in a bed where I have
>several new DB.  Will they do any harm?

Let's see...they bury seeds in the ground. They dig seeds up and eat them.
Do they know the difference between a DB rhizome and a seed? I don't know.
I lose more to burrowing animals - a believe voles rather than moles.
They'll tunnel under the surface right through a line of them and they're
gone!

>Birdfeeders are in the same bed.  Any harm to
>come from that?

Basically it's compost. More risk to the birds if you don't clean up under
feeders on a fairly regular basis. They eat droppings as well as seeds and
spread several diseases that way. It's a good idea to clean feeders in
bleach water every month or so for the same reason. (You'll also be able to
see the birds better if they're clean).

James Brooks
Jonesborough, TN
hirundo@tricon.net