Re: HYB: Hardiness

From: StorYlade@aol.com

In a message dated 1/28/1999 11:55:39 AM Central Standard Time,
IRISROT@aol.com writes:

<< Also let's be fair and
 not vote on an iris just because of it's drawing power. >>

As of this past fall, I am no longer a judge so take this for what it's worth.

AIS awards are garden awards, and judges are to see a cultivar in the garden
for two years before passing judgment.  My memory says an iris should be
'distinctively' different.  Isn't that the primary quality with irises such as
Edith Wolford, Before the Storm, Honky Tonk Blues, Thornbird, and even
Silverado and Dusky Challenger?  Can't you identify a clump of any of these
from several yards away?  I know I can.  Conjuration, may be the only recent
(oh, gosh, here I go) Dykes that holds up on all counts in my garden, and even
it isn't consistent with it's horns.  (I have a hard time distinguishing good
growing pinks and whites from each other in the garden.)

Although distinction, should not be the only criteria for an award, it is the
most obvious.  And will probably continue to sway judging.

My .02 worth.

Betty from Bowling Green way down in South Central KY.