REF: A Treasure House for ALL!

From: HIPSource@aol.com

We have a lot of new members here, all of whom are most welcome, and I think
it is
time for me to post my traditional quarterly rave for the most rich and
comprehensive reference resource imaginable. It deals with iris culture, iris
and true insider iris-lore. It is on-line, and it is free to all. The combined
anecdotes, and experience of hundreds irisarians await you at the Iris-list
Archives, along with much fun.
Among the topics which have arisen recently which I know have received a great
deal of attention in the past and will be found in the Archives are:

pollination by birds and insects, what is SIGNA, how do I germinate iris
seeds, the content and quality of the AIS Bulletin, excellent and not so
excellent commercial nurseries, potting irises both in season and out, irises
with broken color, irises with variegated foliage, the relationship between
the iris borer and beardless irises with special attention to native irises,
Ahnentafel charts, hardiness as thought to relate to progenitor species,
flower arranging, nematodes of both bad and good kinds, fertilization and the
winter care of irises, and many more.

There is a vast amount of wisdom there on perennially popular topics such as
labeling irises in the garden, companion plants, herbicides and other
chemicals, borer life cycles and control, good iris books, pros and cons of
mulching, photographing irises, with notes on preferred films and digital
cameras, genetics and mutants, regional iris preferences and growing
conditions, soil amendments (including alfalfa), soil solarizations,  Dykes
winners generally and what this award means or doesn't mean for the average
irisarian, and very important health, ecological, and conservation issues.

I hope you will visit the Archives and take the time to learn to use them
well. An irisarian's education is at your fingertips. Occasionally the search
engine gets a bit uncooperative but you should just jot down what it is doing
or refusing to do and send Chris Lindsey, who maintains the Archives, a little
note from the webpage describing its symptoms. Chris will fix it.
There is no comparable resource in irisdom, and it is all yours for the

Here is the address:
Anner Whitehead