Re: CULT: Birdseed blues

From: "John Bruce" <jbruce@infinet.com>

Bill Shear wrote:

>Squirrels have no interest in iris rhizomes, though their digging to hide
>seeds could possibly uproot a tiny DB rhizome.

I agree that squirrels have little interest in the rhizome. I have never seen
any chewed spots on the rhizomes (first year ones) that the squirrels
dig out of the ground.  In my neck of the woods, they seem to like to
bury and dig up their human-supplied peanuts right at the heel of the
rhizome, many times totally uprooting the rhizome in the process.
I have had to replant some TB rhizomes as many as 3 or 4 times before the plant
is established because one of these vile, bushy-tailed rats  has a yen for the
particular spot it was planted in.

Anyone remember Bill Murray in "Caddyshack"?
John Bruce
jbruce@infinet.com
President, Miami Valley Iris Society
AIS Region 6 / SW OH Zone 5 / Sunset Zone 35