Re: Squirrels

From: "Michael D. Greenfield" <redear@infinet.com>

> From: "Betty Schnellinger" <bejim@buffnet.net>
> Yikes!! I just saw two squirrels in a bed where I have
> several new DB.  Will they do any harm?
They can do much harm. The can and do dig up the whole rhizome large or
small. Never had one eat or do direct damage to the rhizome its self. I
have had them dig up the same one 8 days in a row. I usually have more
problems in a newly planted bed.

Just refilled 5 or 6 holes an hour ago, it is almost a daily chore. They
dig right next to the base of the fan. Why I do not know.  We got rid of
bird feeders. The squirrels destroy them, seed and hummingbird feeders
> Birdfeeders are in the same bed.  Any harm to
> come from that?  (Sprouts from the birdseed are
> no real problem -- don't mind pulling them up.)

I would move them.

> Meantime, squirrel-watching gives our dogs something
> to do while we all await better weather.

Squirrel chasing would be better.

Michael D. Greenfield
SW Ohio Zone5b