CULT: Winter Hardiness

From:	dkramb@tso.cin.ix.net (Dennis Kramb)

Well, this winter has been absolutely wacky.  With almost no snowfall,
temps have rollercoastered between 70's and subzero over the past 8 weeks.

Yesterday temps were in the 60s and so I inspected my iris beds paying
close attention to the new arils and arilbreds added in 1998.  Here are the

YA'ARA - OH (pure aril) - died of rot, all 7 rhizomes were mushy
SHARIS - OH (pure aril) - died of rot, both rhizomes were mushy

SOLOMON'S SHIELD - OGB+ (3/4-bred) - one rhizome fine, one with slight rot
JEWELED VEIL - OB+ (3/4-bred) - minor leaf damage, absolutely no rot

T-N88-D1 - OGB (1/2-bred sdlg from Sam Norris) - survived without damage
T-N88-D2 - OGB (1/2-bred sdlg from Sam Norris) - minor rot just starting
94-101-X - OGB (1/2-bred sdlg from Shockey) - died of rot, totally mushy
HEIMDALL - OGB (1/2-bred) - minor rot just starting, easily removed
STARS OVER CHICAGO - RB (1/2-bred) - minor leaf damage, no rot whatsoever
GENETIC ARTIST - RB (1/2-bred) - no rot, but no new growth yet either!!
ANACRUSIS - OGB (1/2-bred) - no rot
DAWN VICTORY - OGB (1/2-bred) no rot, minor leaf damage
DESERT DREAM - OGB (1/2-bred) no rot, minor leaf damage
OYEZ - OGB (1/2-bred) no rot on any of the two rhizomes
BEN DAVID - OGB (1/2-bred) no rot
CAPITOLA - OB (1/2-bred) no rot
ZWANENBURG - OB (1/2-bred) no rot

ARIL REVERIE - OGB- (1/4-bred) no rot
JACOB'S WELL - OGB- (1/4-bred) - no rot
BOLD SENTRY - OGB- (1/4-bred) no rot

Next year I am going to try some different oncos, and also try some
regelias.  Regelias supposedly come from colder climates and may do better
in Cicinnati's climate than the oncocyclus hybrids & species.

I am utterly stunned at the health and vigor of my 3/4-bred cultivars after
seeing how devestated the OH cultivars were from the ice storm earlier this
month.  Especially with JEWELED VEIL having 75% onco genes.  It is
absolutely in perfect health.  Stunning!  Let's hope it continues to
perform this well.

WHISKEY MACK (RB, 1/2-bred) died in late summer because I overwatered it.

My biggest disappointment was my Shockey seedling.  Oh how I wanted to see
that bloom!  :(

Dennis Kramb; dkramb@tso.cin.ix.net
Member of AIS, ASI, HIPS, RIS, SIGNA, SLI, & Miami Valley Iris Society
(Check out my web page at http://home.fuse.net/dkramb/home.html)