Re: TB: red-bearded blacks

From: vince lewonski <vincelewonski@yahoo.com>

> From: "Mark, Maureen" <MARKM@tc.gc.ca>
>
> I have been reading the posts about red-bearded blacks with much
interest.
> I have been eyeing them for some time but undecided as which to get.
 The
> ones I have seen mentioned, NIGHT GAME, WITCHES WAND, and LOCAL
COLOR are
> ones that I have noticed.  Also TOM JOHNSON.  Any others?  Can someone
> describe the main differences between each of these and suggest
which ones
> might do for zone 4 clay soil?

WITCH'S WAND did not do well for me. It would look great until spring,
then it would act like it had a disease and fail to grow. After bloom
season it would perk up again. After three years, it finally had one
stalk with 4 (if memory serves) buds. Nice looking, but  hard to get
going.
I planted NIGHT GAME in '97. Didn't bloom last year, and died of rot
in summer. (Does this prove Linda's theory?) BUT - this was a really
nasty summer, and it succumbed after many days of rain. I think it may
have survived if it had been better established.
I have heavy clay soil.

==
Vince Lewonski
Secane, PA  Zone 6
In some cultures, what I do would be considered normal!