CULT:TB: Keppel irises in Region 7

From: vince lewonski <vincelewonski@yahoo.com>

   I am in zone 6, but near zone 7.
   I have grown a lot of Keppel irises. Most have come right from him,
and they always look good when they get here. They obviously grow for
him - it's up to me to kill them!
   Ones of his that do better than average for me:
FANCY WOMAN
LIGHT SHOW
RUSTLER
SANTANA
SNEEZY
SORCERESS
SPRING SHOWER
WISHFUL THINKING

   Ones that do average for me:
DANCE STEP
DISTANT ROADS
FLIGHTS OF FANCY
MAGIC SHOW
RASPBERRY FUDGE
SMART MOVE
STAR FLEET

   Ones that have done poorly for me:
BLUE BALLET
BROADWAY
DAREDEVIL
GIGOLO
JITTERBUG
OPPORTUNITY
POLAR SEAS
SEAPORT
SPIRIT WORLD

   BLUE BALLET, POLAR SEAS, and SEAPORT are all related. Someone in PA
has HEAVEN'S EDGE (Tompkins), which has a sib to these as a parent,
and it grows very well for him.
   I couldn't get DAREDEVIL to get any size to the rhizomes, and if it
did bloom, it had a low bud count. I saw a big clump last year in VA
(zone 7), and there was only one bloom stalk in the whole clump.
   GIGOLO would give me one stalk with 3 buds about every other year.
I have ROCK STAR, which has GIGOLO as a parent, and it does
wonderfully and grows like a weed.
   OPPPORTUNITY grew okay, but had rot problems for me.    JITTERBUG
and BROADWAY just sat there.
   SPIRIT WORLD just sat there and wouldn't grow, and did the same at
one other area garden, but grew well for Evelyn Kegerise in Reading
PA. (We can only HOPE to grow irises like Evelyn!!!)
   NIGHT GAME rotted away on me last year, but I have not included it
on this list, because I think that this was just a weather problem and
may not have been typical.
   I _LOVE_ GIGOLO, and wish it grew for me. If anyone knows of a
variety that looks similar, I would love to know about it.
   Keith has enough different irises from enough different lines that
you can't make any generalizations about how they will grow. Some will
do well, some will not. But almost all of them are very distinctive
and cutting edge, and I for one will continue to buy new ones from him.

==
Vince Lewonski
Secane, PA  Zone 6
In some cultures, what I do would be considered normal!