Re: HYB: hybridizer's selection/hardiness

From: IRISROT@aol.com

In a message dated 1/28/99 5:15:37 PM Pacific Standard Time, lmann@icx.net
writes:

>  I don't mind that a lot of truly beautiful irises won't live & bloom
>  here, as long as their genes are out there.  No fair criticizing a
>  hybridizer for introducing something that won't grow & bloom everywhere,
>  unless they claim it will.

Hi Linda,

I agree with you 100 percent. Until an iris is grown all across the U. S. we
really don't know if it will grow or not. But to carry this a little
further..I can grow iris in my garden that a friend can't which lives 8 miles
away. A lot has to do with the makeup of the soil within a given area. I also
agree that we need a recorder that could be sent with the sympossium ballet or
have each gardner send a list of the iris that grow well in their garden.
Course we would need a few counters to do this job. I for one would be more
than happy to be a counter for I feel this would be a big help especially to
gardners that buy older iris say 5 years or older. I buy quiet a few new ones
each year so wouldn't help me out to much. But something we could do...is ask
the hybridizer's to mention area;'s that it has grown well in when the iris is
introduced. This year I would know if it has done well in Oklahoma City it
most likley will do well here. See what happens when you unleash someone...he
doesn't know when to shut up...

							Jim Loveland, Fenton, MO